• 9 March 1946 – Institution of Revd. Frank Aker as Vicar.
  • 18 October 1948 – Installation of heating in church at cost of £372, to replace coke stoves. A stoker had to be employed to visit the church three times daily to enable heating to be provided all week.
  • 1 May 1952 – Pastoral Reorganisation Committee propose Locks Heath and Titchfield be united to form one vicar and vicarage at Titchfield.
  • January 1954 – Revd. F Aker resigns.
  • 25 March 1954 – Revd. N Miller, Vicar of Titchfield, is appointed as Priest in Charge for two years, whilst the Bishop decides whether Locks Heath should continue as a separate parish or have a union with Titchfield for economic purposes.
  • May 1954 – Vicarage let to private tenant.
  • August 1955 – Bishop announces to PCC that union will not take place as considered to be unworkable.
  • December 1955 – Revd. E Curtis is inducted as Vicar.
  • December 1958 – Service of thanksgiving after re-roofing, re-tiling and renewal of drains and guttering.
  • November 1959 – PCC resolve to seek and obtain site to build new church for increasing population in the parish (not pursued subsequently).
  • 17 April 1965 – Memorial Hall is sold to Fareham Council.
  • January 1967 – Revd. Curtis leaves to become Bishop of Mauritius.
  • 14 April 1967 – Revd. B Carpenter is inducted as Vicar.
  • 21 May 1967 – Family Service televised live.
  • October 1967 – part of churchyard set-aside for Garden of Remembrance.
  • December 1967 – New Side Altar is consecrated.
  • June 1969 – 75th anniversary is marked by World Fair in aid of missionary work.
  • July 1969 – New Church Hall is completed at cost of £3000, from sale of Memorial Hall.
  • 11 October 1970 – Services at Salisbury Secondary School commences.
  • November 1971 – Formation of Locks Heath branch of Abbeyfield Society.
  • July 1972 – John Nicholls, Reader, joined the Staff Team
  • November 1972 – Proposal to install sound amplification in church.
  • January 1973 – Jane Taylor is first member of church to be accepted for training for women’s ministry.
  • October 1974 – Revd. Carpenter leaves for Holy Trinity Fareham, Revd. J Snook officiates during interregnum.
  • December 1974 – Reconstructed altar consecrated, built by boys of Brookfield School.
  • March 1975 – Revd. D Nichols inducted as Vicar.
  • April 1975 – Chancel reorganised.
  • September 1975 – Revd. Nichols leaves the parish.
  • October 1975 – Induction of Revd. N Chatfield.
  • October 1979 – Purchase of 11 Laurel Road to accommodate Revd. M Sheffield – first Assistant Curate.
  • May 1980 – Jane Richards admitted as Reader.
  • May 1981 – Jenny Lowater admitted as Reader.
  • November 1982 – Revd. Chatfield leaves for Alverstoke as Rector.
  • 3 July 1983 – Induction of Revd. R J S Evens – from St. Marys Portchester.
  • June 1984 – 90th Anniversary Altar frontals presented.
  • November 1984 – Church library established Summer 1985 – tape recordings of services introduced. Focus scheme introduced to nominated charities.
  • September 1985 – Locks Heath Day Centre Group set up. Group appointed to specify design of new church hall.
  • November 1987 – Stone font removed and wrought iron stand installed to support mounted copper bowl font.
  • June 1988 – Revd. S Holt installed as curate.
  • February 1989 – Family Service (1st Sunday) and Evening Praise (2nd Sunday) with an 11 a.m. Communion on 1st Sunday introduced.
  • September 1989 – Planning application lodged for erection of new vicarage and church hall, and development of existing vicarage and car parking.
  • November 1989 – Garden of remembrance can no longer accommodate individual stones. Name of deceased to be recorded in Book of Remembrance in church.
  • March 1990 – Parish boundaries changed transferring part of parish to Sarisbury, Warsash and Titchfield. Healing service introduced in evening. For first time ever the Apportionment not met.
  • September 1990 – Anne Boggust ordained and starts ministry at Hook with Warsash.
  • May 1991 – Building Programme Phase 1 commences with church hall – completed November 1991.
  • July 1991 – Jonathan Watson ordained as Priest.
  • October 1991 – John Maybury licensed as Senior Curate.
  • January 1992 – Bob Evens and family move into new Vicarage.
  • February 1992 – Opening of new Church Hall by Mayor of Fareham, with dedication by Bishop of Portsmouth. Phase One of development programme completed. Nearly £200,000 given or loaned by congregation.
  • February 1992 – Bob Evens take sabbatical for six months in USA and France.
  • November 1992 – Revd. Chris Lewis invited to join the staff team.
  • June 1993 – Bob Thomas and Sylvia Martin admitted as Readers.
  • April 1994 – Dr Henry Rattle joins as lay minister.
  • May 1994 – Jane Richards is ordained as priest, Anne Boggust rejoins parish.
  • March 1995 – Centenary Reunion Lunch and Service.
  • July 1995 – Contract signed for construction of new Church Centre.
  • September 1995 – Megan Atkinson accepted for ordination training at Salisbury.
  • January 1997 – Revd. Bob Evens leaves for a position at Bath and Wells; Revd. Jane Richards officiates during interregnum.
  • September 1997 – Induction of Revd. Peter Ingrams.
  • September 1997 – Ros Nicholls admitted and licenced as Reader, joining the Staff Team.
  • February 1998 – Church Centre completed, providing meeting rooms and a library. Formally opened by Bishop Kenneth Stevenson at a special service on 21st February.
  • November 2002 – Revd. Megan Atkinson returned to St. John’s as Assistant Curate (retiring 2004 but continuing to officiate).
  • July 2007 – Revd. Peter Ingrams leaves for the position of Local Ministry Officer for the Diocese of Canterbury.
  • December 2008 – Induction of Revd. Charles Sugden. Charles joins from St. James’ Church, Poole.
  • August 2014 – World War I Centenary commemorated by a special service and exhibition of local memorabilia.
  • August 2014 – Audio / Visual system installed in Church and Grove Room.
  • September 2015 – Revd. Charles Sugden leaves to be the vicar of Frenchay and Stapleton in Bristol. Once again our retired clergy provide valued support during the interregnum.
  • November 2015 – LIFE Expo, an inter-Church inter-active exhibition about the life and impact of Jesus Christ, has 555 children visiting from 7 local schools.
  • August 2016 – Canon David Isherwood invited to join the staff team.
  • 4 September 2016 – Induction of Revd. Gavin Foster as Vicar. Gavin was previously Chaplain to the Bishop of Winchester.
  • October 2016 – Revd. Canon John Maybury, Revd. Chris Lewis and Henry Rattle announce their retirement from active service. We give thanks for their many years of dedication to St. John’s.
  • December 2016 – Local groups and businesses provide trees for our Christmas Tree Festival. This was popular and attracted many visitors of all ages as a prelude to Christmas.
  • April 2017 – Revd. Megan Atkinson retires after many years of service to St, John’s.
  • April 2017 – A new pattern of Sunday morning services established which introduces a new Informal Service every week.
  • June 2017 – Roger Pickard, our unpaid verger for the last 14 years, is selected as the Portsmouth Diocese “Unsung Hero” for his tireless dedication to St. John’s.
  • July 2017 – A more modern sound system is installed in Church.

 

Our thanks go to Peter Jeffs for his early historical research.